Information Archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Natural Resources Canada’s CanmetMATERIALS laboratory, with facilities in Hamilton and Calgary, is the premier research centre in Canada dedicated to metals and materials research, focusing on fabrication, processing and evaluation. Scientific and technical staff are involved in research and development to provide materials solutions for Canadian industry in the energy, transportation and metal-manufacturing sectors. Canada has long been a leader in this field.
CanmetMATERIALS’ mandate is to develop and deploy technologies that improve all aspects of producing and using value-added products derived from metals and minerals. Particular emphasis is placed on solving technological problems in clean energy and sustainable development and on transferring materials technology to Canadian companies.
CanmetMATERIALS’ research focuses on three industrial sectors that use Canada’s natural resources and are central to NRCan’s mandate:
- Transportation — particularly the manufacturers of vehicles, engines and components, which require new advanced-materials solutions to improve fuel efficiency while maintaining safety and performance;
- Energy — components for use in clean energy production (such as next-generation nuclear reactors and clean combustion systems for fossil fuels) and reliable pipelines to transport gas, oil, biofuels and carbon dioxide; and
- Metal Manufacturing — components for a variety of other sectors, such as defence, aerospace, health and construction, that require high-performance materials.
CanmetMATERIALS laboratory staff work closely with clients and stakeholders in each of these sectors.
LEED® Platinum Certified Building
The CanmetMATERIALS laboratory in Hamilton was awarded the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Platinum certification on October 1, 2013. Platinum certification is the highest level of the LEED rating system, which is recognized as the international mark of excellence in green building.
The CanmetMATERIALS building achieved LEED Platinum certification for its exceptional energy-efficient, green building technologies. These include:
- Geoexchange heating and cooling
- A 705-square-metre solar wall to preheat ventilation air
- Displacement ventilation to reduce fan power requirements
- A high-performance thermal building envelope
- Triple-glazed windows to reduce energy loss
- Solar thermal panels for hot water and radiant heating
- Innovative wastewater technologies that harvest rainwater
- Use of sustainable and low-emitting materials
- Accommodation for alternate fuel vehicles and bicycles, and public transportation access
Office of Canada's Minister of
Natural Resources Canada
- Date Modified: