Learn more and read our information products on Indigenous participation in exploration and mining, and view our tools for capacity-building and sound decision-making.
Aboriginal Participation in Mining (1.05 MB) – an information bulletin focusing on common issues related to Aboriginal peoples and communities involved in mining, including environmental practices, business and career opportunities.
Interactive Map of Indigenous Mining Agreements - provides information on exploration projects and producing mines, the Indigenous communities signatory to agreements and the types of agreements negotiated.
Guide to exploration and mining for Aboriginal communities – provides basic explanations on the mining sequence from exploration to mining closure, including the regulatory process, socio-economic opportunities and successful partnerships.
Trainer’s Manual – this guide will help a trainer/teacher deliver information sessions using the Exploration and Mining Guide for Aboriginal Communities as a workbook.
Our Community…Our Future: Mining and Aboriginal Communities - an informative video explaining the mining sequence in six modules, from geological mapping and surveying and the early stages of exploration to mine closure and site reclamation. Available in 5 languages: English, French, Cree, Oji-Cree and Ojibwa.
Mining Essentials: Training for Aboriginal Peoples – provides an overview of the vast career choices and opportunities, and provides practical information aimed at attracting Aboriginal men, women and youth to seek rewarding careers in the mining industry.
Partnership Agreements — fact sheets that highlight leading practices for collaboration between Aboriginal communities or groups and the mining industry.
For further information and resources on Indigenous participation in mineral development see the following links.
- Canadian Aboriginal Minerals Association
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, The
- Communities and Small-Scale Mining (World Bank)
- Council for the Advancement of Native Development Officers
- Aboriginal Skills and Employment Training Strategy
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development
- International Council on Mining and Metals
- Mining and Community (World Bank)
- Mining Association of Canada, The
- Mining Industry Human Resources Council
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada: Aboriginal Affairs
- Mining Essentials: Training for Aboriginal Peoples
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, 2010
- Date Modified: