Effective November 1st, 2017, the EDO written examination is available in an updated electronic format only. The multiple-choice examination is only available to write at an expanded set of EDO Examination Centres and other participating examination centres. Candidates who have been approved for the written examination may register for the electronic examination. For more information on eligibility and registration for the electronic examination, please contact the NRCan NDTCB and read additional information below
To renew your EDO certification with the CNSC, you may be required to pass the EDO written examination. Before contacting the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB), please contact the CNSC to obtain information regarding all requirements and pre-requisites (including whether you are required to complete the written EDO examination).
If you are required to pass the written EDO examination in order to qualify for EDO renewal with the CNSC, simply send a signed and completed application form to the NRCan NDTCB along with other requirements (see below).
What to include in your application package
1. Include the following form, signed and dated. Ensure that you select “Examination in support of renewal” on page 1:
2. The $200 application fee (see application form for payment instructions)
To protect your payment information, we ask that all forms containing credit card information (MasterCard, Visa, American Express) be submitted via fax or mail only. Do not send credit card information by e-mail. If you have any questions, please call 1-866-858-0473.
3. Two passport photos (required, minimum, every 10 years). The passport photos must:
- measure 5 cm wide X 7 cm high (2 inches wide X 2-3/4 inches high)
- be taken by a commercial photographer and be professionally printed on photographic paper
- be clear, sharp, in focus, and in full colour
- be taken straight on with your face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera
- reflect your current appearance (taken within the last twelve (12) months)
- show your complete name, as well as the name and complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken on the back of one photo
- be submitted, via mail or courier
Note: Self-taken and/or self-printed photographs and non-passport photographs will not be accepted. We may request additional photographs at any time if we deem previously submitted photographs unacceptable.
Taking the exam
All eligible EDO candidates will be provided with an email confirming their eligibility for written examination. The email will contain information on how to register for the electronic examination at an examination centre.
You should bring the following items to examinations:
- Printed copy of booking confirmation email from the electronic examination system provider
- Valid government issued photo identification
- Non-programmable calculator
Note: If you were approved to write your written EDO examination prior to the implementation of the electronic examination and you have not yet attempted the exam, you are required to submit to the NRCan NDTCB:
- A written request for electronic examination approval (via email)
- A scanned copy of your EDO Examination Admittance and Registration Form
After you have submitted your request and it has been processed, the NRCan NDTCB will issue electronic examination approval via email. If you have lost or misplaced your admittance form and cannot submit it with your request, fees may apply in order to obtain approval for the electronic examination. Please contact the NRCan NDTCB for more information on eligibility and registration for the electronic examination.