Language selection


Frequently Asked Questions about Standby Power

Recently Added FAQs

Does a network standby mode (or data acquisition mode) have to meet standby power consumption limits?

The Energy Efficiency Regulations define “standby mode” as the mode in which the appliance, while connected to mains power, cannot produce either sound or picture (for televisions), video or audio output signals (for video products), sound (for compact audio products), or provide any mechanical function, but can be switched into another mode with a remote control unit, an internal signal or an internal timer.

According to EU Commission Regulation (EU) No. 801/2013 , networked standby means a condition in which the equipment is able to resume a function by way of a remotely initiated trigger from a network connection.”  Networked standby mode is not currently defined in the Energy Efficiency Regulations nor is it intended to be included in the current definition of standby power.

When completing Energy Efficiency Reports for Televisions, Compact Audio or Video products, provide performance values for standby mode only.

Natural Resources Canada is currently reviewing networked standby mode and may choose to set appropriate energy efficiency standards in a future amendment to the Regulations.

Would an LED light/indicator on a compact audio, television, or video product, be considered a status display?

Status display is not intended to include LED indicator lights.  If a certification body tests the product with the understanding that an LED indicator light constitutes a status display (an information display), and renders a decision on whether or not the product meets performance levels based on that understanding, that is acceptable to NRCan.

If a compact audio product is hard-wired to its power supply would it still be considered a compact audio product?

If the product is hard-wired it can be connected to mains power and could still be considered a compact audio product.

  1. What are the requirements for dealers of Standby Power Products that fall under the scope of the Energy Efficiency Regulations (Regulations)?

    There are four requirements for products regulated for standby power.  Dealers shall:

    1. Ensure the product meets the energy efficiency standard specified in the Regulations.
    2. Ensure an energy efficiency report has been filed with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).
    3. Provide the necessary import information to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), when importing products.
    4. Ensure the product bears an energy efficiency verification mark (EEV).
  2. What products fall under the scope of Standby Power for Compact Audio Products, Televisions and Video Products?

    The following list of products could fall under the scope of the regulatory definition of Standby Power for compact audio products, televisions, and video products. (Note: this is not an exhaustive list).

    • CD player
    • digital music player (mp3)
    • home theatre in a box
    • multi-room audio/video systems
    • clock radio
    • radio
    • docking station
    • integrated stereo
    • portable stereo
    • Blu-Ray
    • DVR/PVR
    • DVD player
    • TV
    • VCR
  3. Does a home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) fall under the scope of the Regulations? 

    HTIB is considered to be within the scope of compact audio if it has a radio tuner and an amplifier contained in a single-housing.

  4. What does single-housing mean in relation to compact audio products?

    This term is intended to capture devices encased in the same mechanical or physical housing.
  5. Are video cameras considered cameras and therefore not regulated? 

    Video cameras are considered “cameras” which are explicitly excluded.  
  6. Is a home theatre Personal Computer (PC) covered?

    If the primary purpose of the product is to function as a PC, then it would not be covered under the scope of video products. The same applies to game consoles.

  7. Are Portable DVD Players regulated products?

    For the purposes of the Regulations, Portable DVD players do not fall under the scope of the Regulations as they do not rely on mains power for operation (they usually function with DC power).

  8. If a product has connector(s) such as a USB connection for the purpose of charging a separate media device such as a mobile phone, should the media device be connected when calculating the Standby or Off energy limits?

    For products that have connections to charge other devices, it is not required to have the devices attached during the testing. The performance testing is to be completed for the unit itself.

  9. Is there a power range for the amplifier? 

    Amplifiers alone are not regulated as they do not have a tuner, so they have no power limit.

  10. If the compact audio product does not come with speakers (i.e., the speakers are sold separately), does the product fall under the scope of the Regulations?

    In order to fall under the regulatory definition of a compact audio product, the product must include attached or separable speakers as well as an amplifier and a terrestrial tuner. 

  11. Is a mono audio product regulated by NRCan?

    Yes. A mono audio product is a regulated product as it falls under the scope of compact audio products.

    Importing Requirements

  12. What are the 5 data elements that need to be provided to CBSA at the time of importation?

    The five data elements for customs release are as follows:

    • name of the product
    • model number
    • brand name
    • address of the dealer
    • purpose of the importation
      • for sale or lease in Canada without modification
      • for sale or lease in Canada after being modified to comply with the prescribed energy efficiency standard or
      • for use as a component in a product being exported from Canada
  13. Which Harmonized System (HS) codes must be used when importing Standby Products?

    NRCan has provided the CBSA with a list of HS codes that could contain standby products.  You can visit the CBSA website to view the HS codes captured for NRCan.
  14. How does CBSA know which products are regulated by NRCan?

    NRCan provides the CBSA with a list of affected Harmonized System (HS) codes that may contain a prescribed energy-using product.  
  15. Will importation of products that fall under the scope of NRCan’s regulations be eligible for Customs Self Assessment (CSA)?

    NRCan has an agreement with the CBSA to allow importers to take part in this program.  For more information about the CSA program, visit:
  16. I wish to import a product that does not fall under the scope of the Regulations but the HS code I am using is flagged as requiring OGD import information.  How do I fill out import documents?

    Release requests for energy-using products that are not regulated should be transmitted to the CBSA using regular service options 125 or 257 (additional data elements are not required).  HS codes will be flagged, indicating to border services officers that the goods may be regulated. This might trigger additional questions to the importer (e.g. purpose of the importation) to ensure that products are not regulated and that a correct service option is used.

    When submitting paper release requests to the CBSA (where exceptions to the requirement of transmitting release information using EDI apply), you may indicate that the product is not regulated to facilitate the release process.

    If you wish to learn more about the CBSA Single Window Interface please refer to the CBSA website at

    To ensure that your product is not regulated, view the definition (compact audio products, televisions, video products, or contact us at

    Energy Efficiency Reporting

  17. Who can submit an energy efficiency report? 

    The energy efficiency report is an excel template that provides NRCan with the information pertaining to the products energy efficiency verification and performance.  The onus is on the dealer to ensure the energy efficiency report has been provided to NRCan, however it is common practice for manufacturers, or anyone else in the supply chain, to provide NRCan with the energy efficiency report. Dealers may also authorize the SCC accredited certification body to file the report on their behalf provided NRCan is made aware the dealer has authorised the certification body to submit on their behalf.  It must be completed and submitted prior to first import.
  18. Will all of the information submitted to NRCan on the energy efficiency report be posted on the web?

    No, only select information that allows the product to be identified as compliant (such as brand name, model number, and details about energy consumption), will be available on the web listing of compliant models. Models are added to the web listing approximately one week following the processing of completed energy efficiency reports.
  19. When do Standby products have to be reported to NRCan?

    Beginning April 12, 2012, products manufactured on or after May 1, 2011 must be reported to NRCan prior to first import by submitting an energy efficiency report

    Energy Efficiency Verification (EEV)

  20. Where can I find a list of laboratories accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), in order to have my product certified?

    Visit to view a list of certification bodies accredited by the SCC.  Contact these certification bodies directly to determine who offers energy efficiency verification programs for Standby products.
  21. Where does the EEV mark have to be placed, on the product or its packaging? 

    The Energy Efficiency Regulations stipulate the mark must be readily visible on the exterior surface of the product.

  22. Does NRCan accept a manufacturer’s self-declaration of compliance with the Energy Efficiency Regulations instead of third-party verification of compliance?

    No. For regulated products under the Energy Efficiency Regulations, NRCan only accepts third party verification, accompanied by the presence of a verification mark authorized for use by a certification body that is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada.  A self-declaration of compliance is not sufficient to meet the Regulations.

    For more information on the Energy Efficiency Regulations email us at

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: