Language selection


Import reporting requirement for the Energy efficiency Regulations

What information needs to be provided to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at time of import?

There are five data elements:

  • name of product (see the list of energy-using products)
  • model number
  • brand name, if any
  • address of the dealer who is importing the product
  • the purpose for which the product is being imported
    • for sale or lease in Canada without modification
    • for sale or lease in Canada after being modified to comply with the prescribed energy efficiency standard or
    • for use as a component in a product being exported from Canada

I’m importing a product for my personal use/for use in my company. Do I have to provide the five data elements?

No. The Energy Efficiency Regulations apply to products imported for the purpose of sale or lease.

What does Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) do with this information?

NRCan cross-references import data with previously filed energy efficiency reports to ensure all regulated products imported into Canada meet the minimum energy efficiency standard.

How does NRCan identify a regulated product when it is being imported?

The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS) is an international goods classification system developed by the World Customs Organization to classify imported and exported goods. NRCan flags the tariff classification number (often referred to as HS codes) for regulated products with CBSA.

Where can I get a list of tariff classification numbers that are flagged by NRCan?

Tariff classification numbers flagged by NRCan are listed on CBSA’s website here.

I want to import a product that is not regulated by NRCan but it uses a tariff classification number flagged by NRCan. What do I do?

If using the ACROSS system, you should use service options 257 or 125. If using Single Window Initiative, there is the option to indicate that the shipment is not regulated and you will not be asked to provide the additional information.

Is NRCan participating in the Single Window Initiative updates?

Yes. NRCan is participating in this initiative. You can find more information about our participation here.

When I use Single Windows Initiative, I am prompted to give four pieces of information. Why does your website say there are five required pieces of information?

One of the five data elements, the address of the importer, was provided in a previous section, therefore we do not ask for this piece of information again.

Can I still use the Canada Border Services Agency’s programs such as Customs Self-Assessment and Courier Low Value Shipment if my product is regulated by NRCan?

NRCan has an agreement with the Canada Border Services Agency to allow trusted traders to continue to use the Customs Self-Assessment program. Contact us for more information.

Current legislation has prevented NRCan from implementing a similar program for the Courier Low Value Shipment participants.

Where can I get additional information?

Additional information can be found in the Memorandum D19-6-3 on the Canada Border Services Agency’s website.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: