Softwood Lumber


June 1: Government of Canada Announces Support for Forest Sector Workers and Communities
Federal, Provincial Ministers Discuss U.S. Softwood Lumber Measures
OP-ED: Canadian Softwood Lumber

Action Plan on Softwood Lumber

Canada’s forest sector is a vital part of the Canadian economy, and is crucial to the well being of many communities that rely on it. The U.S. Department of Commerce announced preliminary countervailing duties on imports of certain Canadian softwood lumber products on April 24th, 2017. This was followed by preliminary anti-dumping duties on Canadian softwood lumber on June 23, 2017. Final countervailing and anti-dumping duties were announced on November 2, 2017. The Government of Canada’s $867 million investment will support affected workers and introduce loan guarantee programs; reduce the risk of job losses and support affected communities; and stabilize operations, diversify markets and promote innovation in the sector.

Click below to learn more about the support available to Canadians:


Canada’s Softwood Lumber Industry

Canadian softwood lumber consists of spruce, pine and fir used primarily for framing in construction. It is a key component of Canada’s forest industry and supports predominantly rural and Indigenous communities while generating $22 billion in GDP. A majority of Canadian softwood lumber exports go to the United States. In 2015, American producers could only meet 70 percent of the United States’ softwood lumber needs with Canada covering virtually all of the shortfall.


What success will look like

Softwood Lumber produced 32 billion board feet. Softwood Lumber consumer 44 billion board feet
  • Canada will vigorously defend the interests of the Canadian softwood lumber industry, including through litigation at World Trade Organization and the North American Free Trade Agreement.
  • We have prevailed in the past and we will do so again.

Key facts

Text version

Gross Domestic Product $22 billion from the forest industry in 2016

Text version

Forest Industry Employment 201,645 job9s including 9,500 jobs in Indigenous communities in 2015

Text version

Close to USD $3M in forest products cross the U.S./Canada border every hour of every day

Renewable fuel consumption doubled between 2010 and 2014
Text version

Since 2015, Canadian companies have invest over USD $5 billion in the U.S. forestry sector

Text version

With every $1,000 increase in home prices, 150,000 few Americans will qualify for an aver mortgage. Source: U.S. National Association of Home Builders

Renewable fuel consumption doubled between 2010 and 2014
Text version

90% of U.S. homes are built with softwood lumber. In 2015, the U.S. met 70% of its softwood lumber needs and Canada made up for the remaining 30%

Find Out More