Chemicals of Concern - Regulating the Sale of Restricted Components
Regulations for the Sale of Restricted Components
Sellers of Restricted Components are required to meet security measures as specified in the Explosives Regulations, 2013 and the Explosives Act.
The Restricted Components are
- ammonium nitrate in solid form at a concentration of at least 28% nitrogen;
- hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of at least 30% ;
- nitric acid at a concentration of at least 75% ;
- nitromethane, UN number 1261;
- potassium chlorate, UN number 1485;
- potassium perchlorate, UN number 1489;
- sodium chlorate in solid form, UN number 1495;
- potassium nitrate , UN number 1486;
- sodium nitrate in solid form, UN number 1498;
- potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate mixture, UN number 1499
Regulations for sellers of Restricted Components
If you manufacture, import, export, purchase, provide or distribute for sale any amount of any of these Restricted Components, you must comply with Part 20 of the Explosives Regulations, 2013 by
- enrolling with ERD to ensure that you are listed as an authorized seller
- taking security measures to protect your product supply and all related documentation from theft and unauthorized access
- requesting from customers proper identification (e.g. government issued photo ID) and intent of use
For more information on the regulatory requirements for sellers, please consult Part 20 of the Explosives Regulations, 2013 .
Requirements for users of Restricted Components
If you are a user of any of these Restricted Components, you will be asked to provide your supplier with proper identification (e.g. government issued photo ID) and explain how you intend to use the product.
Outreach and compliance
Outreach and compliance with these Regulations will be provided and monitored by Inspectors of Explosives from ERD.
For more information about these Restricted Components or to report suspicious activity, contact the Explosives Regulatory Division.
- Date modified: