If you use fireworks, you should be aware that you need different kinds of certificates for different kinds of fireworks. For display fireworks or special effect pyrotechnics, you must be certified by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).
You do not need to be certified by NRCan to use consumer fireworks, but you should check any municipal or provincial requirements that may guide their use where you live.
Classes of Fireworks
In Canada, fireworks are separated into three classes:
- Consumer fireworks are low-hazard and designed for recreational use. They include items like Roman candles, sparklers, fountains, volcanoes, mines, and snakes.
- Display fireworks are high-hazard and designed for professional use. They include items like aerial shells, cakes, Roman candles, waterfalls, lances, and wheels.
- Special effect pyrotechnics are high-hazard and designed for professional use. They include items like gerbs, mines, comets, and crossettes, as well as special-purpose pyrotechnics made for live stage performances and the film and television industry.
Reporting an Incident
If you have an incident involving fireworks, please report it to the Explosives Regulatory Division using the Incident Report form (F07-01, PDF, 630,64).
Consumer Fireworks Safety Procedures
Understand simple safety procedures for using consumer fireworks to make sure you have a safe fireworks display.
National Fireworks Certification Program
Find out how to become certified by NRCan to use display fireworks or special effect pyrotechnics..
Selling Consumer Fireworks
Start here if you are interested in selling consumer fireworks. This page will give you an overview of the rules for storing, displaying, and selling consumer fireworks.
Fireworks Safety Video
Watch this video to better understand fireworks laws and safety guidelines.
- Read safety alerts for explosives, consumer and display fireworks, and special effect pyrotechnics
- Learn about the importation, exportation and transportation in-transit of fireworks
- Find the necessary forms for manufacturing, selling, transporting, exporting, importing, storing, and using fireworks
- Date modified: