ARCHIVED - Sustainable Development
Information Archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Report on Plans and Priorities 2011-2012
Electronic Layer of Reporting
Elements of NRCan's Sustainable Development Strategy
FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants
Reduce air pollutants in order to maintain or improve air quality across the country and achieve the emission targets which are currently under development in consultations with provinces and stakeholders.
FSDS Implementation Strategy - Clean Air Regulatory Agenda
2.1.11 Work on energy-efficiency regulations for consumer and commercial products. (NRCan)
You will find below details about NRCan's activities that contribute to this implementation strategy:
Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels
This activity is nested within NRCan’s Program Activity Architecture (PAA) as follows:
Strategic Outcome 2 -Environmental Responsibility
Program Activity 2.1 -Clean Energy
Sub Activity 2.1.4 -Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels
The Government of Canada has set a target to reduce Canada's total greenhouse gas emissions by 17% from 2005 levels by 2020. Under Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels (PAA 2.1.4), NRCan works to improve energy efficiency and increase the production and use of alternative transportation fuels. Different sectors of the economy are targeted using a variety of policy tools to reach this goal such as incentives, regulations, research, information dissemination, and training through workshops. Initiatives under this Sub Activity that contribute to this FSDS implementation strategy include promotion of smart energy use and purchase of efficient technologies, and information on alternative transportation fuels. Under this Sub Activity a key Sub Sub Activity contributes to this FSDS implementation strategy:
- Sub Sub Activity - Equipment (PAA 18.104.22.168): NRCan excludes the least energy efficient equipment from the market and influences consumers to select, and manufacturers to produce, higher performance products. This Sub Sub Activity targets energy consumers and manufacturers of energy using equipment. Key activities include energy efficiency regulations, EnerGuide and ENERGY STAR labelling and promotion.
Relationship to FSDS Target
Improvements in energy efficiency in equipment help to reduce air pollutants by reducing energy use. Thus, Sub Sub Activity - Equipment, under Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels, contributes directly to FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants.
Non-Financial Performance Expectations
FYs 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
Expected Result and Indicator (Sub Sub Activity 22.214.171.124)
Increased energy efficiency in equipment from NRCan programming.
- Energy savings (petajoules).
Other FSDS Linkages
Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels further contributes to FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants through the following implementation strategies:
- 2.1.2 - Undertake scientific research and reporting in support of regulatory and other programs delivered, including data analysis, inventory development, monitoring, modeling, and assessment of the effectiveness of efforts as well as research on options, costs and benefits including economic and social and technology assessments;
- 2.1.16 - ecoACTION programs reduce GHG emissions and can directly or indirectly contribute to air pollutant emission reduction;
- 2.1.27 - Offer information programs and decision-making tools which help Canadians purchase, drive and maintain their vehicles in a manner which reduces fuel consumption and GHG emissions.
This Sub Activity also contributes to FSDS Target 1.1 - Climate Change Mitigation through the following implementation strategies:
- 1.1.5 - Undertake and deliver scientific research and reporting in support of regulatory and other programs, including data analysis, inventory development, monitoring, modeling and assessment of the effectiveness of efforts as well as research on options, costs and benefits, and technology assessments;
- 1.1.13 - Enhance energy-efficiency regulations for consumer and commercial products;
- 1.1.26 - Supply financial aid and develop capacity to reduce GHGs through adoption of emission reducing technologies and practices;
- 1.1.40 - Offer information programs and decision-making tools which help Canadians purchase, drive and maintain their vehicles in a manner which reduces fuel consumption and GHG emissions.
- Date modified: