Information Archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Report on Plans and Priorities 2011-2012
Electronic Layer of Reporting
Elements of NRCan's Sustainable Development Strategy
FSDS Target 1.1 - Climate Change Mitigation
Relative to 2005 emission levels, reduce Canada’s total greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) 17% by 2020.
FSDS Implementation Strategy - Clean Energy
1.1.27 Use the Program on Energy Research and Development (PERD) to research and develop energy technologies that will reduce GHG emissions. (NRCan)
You will find below details about NRCan's activities that contribute to this implementation strategy:
Clean Energy Science and Technology
This activity is nested within NRCan’s Program Activity Architecture (PAA) as follows:
Strategic Outcome 2 -Environmental Responsibility
Program Activity 2.1 -Clean Energy
Sub Activity 2.1.3 -Clean Energy Science and Technology
Knowledge and technologies are needed to enable Canada's transition to a clean energy economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Under Sub Activity - Clean Energy Science and Technology (PAA 2.1.3), NRCan funds and undertakes - in partnership with experts in the private, public and academic sectors - the advancement of science and technology solutions that can help to achieve a clean energy system. This work includes generating new knowledge and developing and demonstrating technologies related to clean energy priority areas of oil and gas, transportation, buildings and communities, industry, power generation, bioenergy as well as medical isotopes. This ultimately contributes to clean water, clean air and sustainable land use by improving environmental responsibility in Canadian clean energy production, conversion and end-use.
Under Sub Activity - Clean Energy Science and Technology, the Program on Energy Research and Development funds research and development designed to ensure a sustainable energy future for Canada in the best interests of both our economy and our environment. The Program is specifically targeted to activities of federal departments and agencies.
Relationship to FSDS Target
Research and development supported by the Program on Energy Research and Development helps to advance key clean energy technologies in Canada that will contribute to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in the future. Thus, this program under Sub Activity - Clean Energy Science and Technology contributes indirectly to FSDS Target 1.1 - Climate Change Mitigation.
Non-Financial Performance Expectations
Expected Result and Indicators (Sub Activity 2.1.3)
The advancement of clean energy knowledge and technologies that addresses the needs of partners and stakeholders.
- Ratio of total government investments in clean energy research, development and demonstration versus leveraging funding from partners.
- Scientific knowledge and information (e.g. refereed publications and presentations, and technical and client reports etc.) disseminated to our clients and partners (e.g. industry, other government departments and agencies, other governments, associations, universities and non-governmental organizations).
- Number of published and/or revised standards and codes.
Outputs and Indicators (Sub Activity 2.1.3)
Establish partnerships to research, develop and demonstrate technologies that align with stakeholder clean energy goals.
Review proposals and approve projects.
Review and assess project progress and results.
- Number of partnerships (e.g. contracts, agreements, memoranda of understanding, projects etc.) established to research, develop and demonstrate clean energy technologies.
- Percentage of project proposals reviewed and assessed.
- Percentage of projects monitored and reviewed.
Other FSDS Linkages
Sub Activity - Clean Energy Science and Technology further contributes to FSDS Target 1.1 - Climate Change Mitigation through the following implementation strategies:
- 1.1.5 - Undertake and deliver scientific research and reporting in support of regulatory and other programs, including data analysis, inventory development, monitoring, modeling and assessment of the effectiveness of efforts as well as research on options, costs and benefits, and technology assessments;
- 1.1.26 - Supply financial aid and develop capacity to reduce GHGs through adoption of emission reducing technologies and practices; (link)
- 1.1.28 - Use the Clean Energy Fund for transitioning the energy sector by developing and demonstrating new technologies that will reduce GHG emissions;
- 1.1.37 - Undertake research, development and deployment of new technologies to reduce GHGs.
This Sub Activity also contributes to FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants through two implementation strategies:
- Date Modified: