Information Archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
Report on Plans and Priorities 2011-2012
Electronic Layer of Reporting
Elements of NRCan's Sustainable Development Strategy
FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants
Reduce air pollutants in order to maintain or improve air quality across the country and achieve the emission targets which are currently under development in consultations with provinces and stakeholders.
FSDS Implementation Strategy - Clean Transportation
2.1.27 Offer information programs and decision-making tools which help Canadians purchase, drive and maintain their vehicles in a manner which reduces fuel consumption and GHG emissions. (NRCan)
You will find below details about NRCan's activities that contribute to this implementation strategy:
Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels
This activity is nested within NRCan’s Program Activity Architecture (PAA) as follows:
Strategic Outcome 2 -Environmental Responsibility
Program Activity 2.1 -Clean Energy
Sub Activity 2.1.4 -Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels
The Government of Canada has set a target to reduce Canada's total greenhouse gas emissions by 17% from 2005 levels by 2020. Under Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels (PAA 2.1.4), NRCan works to improve energy efficiency and increase the production and use of alternative transportation fuels. Different sectors of the economy are targeted using a variety of policy tools to reach this goal such as incentives, regulations, research, information dissemination, and training through workshops. Initiatives under this Sub Activity that contribute to this FSDS implementation strategy include promotion of smart energy use and purchase of efficient technologies, and information on alternative transportation fuels. Under this Sub Activity is a key Sub Activity that contributes to this FSDS implementation strategy:
- Sub Sub Activity - Transportation (PAA 184.108.40.206): NRCan aims to introduce more fuel efficient vehicles into the Canadian market, to influence consumer demand for those vehicles, and to influence vehicle operations and vehicle maintenance. This Sub Activity targets the Canadian vehicle market, individual drivers, and operators of commercial vehicle fleets. NRCan use a variety of policy tools such as fuel efficient training and awareness to ensure drivers understand the effects of their purchasing, operation and maintenance behaviours.
Relationship to FSDS Target
More efficient driving practices and vehicle choices help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants by decreasing fuel consumption. Thus, Sub Activity - Transportation, under Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels, contributes indirectly to FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants.
Non-Financial Performance Expectations
FYs 2011-2012, 2012, 2013 and 2013-2014.
Expected Result and Indicator (Sub Sub Activity 220.127.116.11)
Improved energy efficiency in all sectors.
- Energy (fuel) savings.
Other FSDS Linkages
Sub Activity - Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuels further contributes to FSDS Target 2.1 - Air Pollutants through the following implementation strategies:
- 2.1.2 - Undertake scientific research and reporting in support of regulatory and other programs delivered, including data analysis, inventory development, monitoring, modeling, and assessment of the effectiveness of efforts as well as research on options, costs and benefits including economic and social and technology assessments;
- 2.1.11 - Work on energy-efficiency regulations for consumer and commercial products;
- 2.1.16 - ecoACTION programs reduce GHG emissions and can directly or indirectly contribute to air pollutant emission reduction.
This Sub Activity also contributes to FSDS Target 1.1 - Climate Change Mitigation through the following implementation strategies:
- 1.1.5 - Undertake and deliver scientific research and reporting in support of regulatory and other programs, including data analysis, inventory development, monitoring, modeling and assessment of the effectiveness of efforts as well as research on options, costs and benefits, and technology assessments;
- 1.1.13 - Enhance energy-efficiency regulations for consumer and commercial products;
- 1.1.26 - Supply financial aid and develop capacity to reduce GHGs through adoption of emission reducing technologies and practices;
- 1.1.40 - Offer information programs and decision-making tools which help Canadians purchase, drive and maintain their vehicles in a manner which reduces fuel consumption and GHG emissions.
- Date Modified: