Portable air conditioners
Energy Efficiency Regulations
Portable air conditioner, a single package air conditioner, other than a packaged terminal air conditioner, room air conditioner or dehumidifier, with or without mounted wheels, that is portable and that
- is designed to deliver cooled and conditioned air to an enclosed space
- is powered by single-phase electric current, and
- has a cooling capacity of less than 19 kW (65,000 Btu/h)
Dual-duct portable air conditioner, a portable air conditioner that draws some or all of the condenser inlet air from outside the conditioned space through a duct attached to an adjustable window bracket and discharges the condenser outlet air outside the conditioned space by means of a separate duct attached to an adjustable window bracket.
Single-duct portable air conditioner, a portable air conditioner that draws all of the condenser inlet air from the conditioned space without the means of a duct and discharges the condenser outlet air outside the conditioned space through a single duct attached to an adjustable window bracket.
Manufactured on or after July 1, 2020
10 C.F.R. Appendix CC [Appendix CC to Subpart B, Part 430 of Title 10 to the United States Code of Federal Regulations]
Energy efficiency regulations by province
Some provinces also have their own energy efficiency regulations for many of the federally regulated products – find out which ones!
Energy efficiency standard
Energy performance standard for portable air conditioners
|Product type||Minimum performance level|
|Dual-duct portable air conditioner||None|
|Single-duct portable air conditioner||None|
Energy efficiency report requirements
- name of product
- brand name
- model number
- name of the certification body or province whose verification mark will be on the product or its package
- whether a mathematical model as defined in the Regulations was used to generate any of the information provided below
- seasonally adjusted cooling capacity (for both applicable duct configurations if the product has multiple duct configuration options)
- combined energy efficiency ratio (for both applicable duct configurations if the product has multiple duct configuration options)
- whether it is a single-duct portable air conditioner or a dual-duct portable air conditioner
Download the energy efficiency report template.
This document does not constitute part of the Energy Efficiency Act (Act) or its associated regulations. This document is an administrative document that is intended to facilitate compliance by the regulated party with the Act and its associated regulations. This document is not intended to provide legal advice regarding the interpretation of the Act or its associated regulations. If a regulated party has questions about their legal obligations or responsibilities under the Act or its associated regulations, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.
- Date modified: