Key energy, economic, and environmental indicators
Our nation’s prosperity and competitiveness are tied to achieving a successful transition to a low carbon future. Economic and environmental indicators are key to understanding energy’s contribution to sustainable economic growth.
Learn more about Key energy, economic, and environmental indicators in Canada in Section 1 of the Energy Fact Book including:
Energy production and supply
Energy and GHG emissions
- In 2020, Canada’s energy sector directly employed more than 293,000 people and indirectly supported over 552,500 jobs.
- Canada’s energy sector accounted for approximately 8.1% of nominal Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2020.
- Energy exports worth $95.1 billion were sent to 142 countries, with the United States accounting for 90%. Meanwhile, Canada imported $30.9 billion of energy in 2020.
- Government revenues coming from enterprises in the energy sector were $17.1 billion in 2019.
- Canada is the sixth largest energy producer, the fifth largest net exporter, and the eighth largest consumer.
- Date modified: