IFIT - Capital Investment projects
Funding Opportunity – closed
The Investment in Forest Industry Transformation (IFIT) program is not accepting funding requests for capital investment projects at this time. Applicants are encouraged to apply to our next call for proposals expected in early 2021.
Find out who is eligible for funding
- download the PDF of our Applicant Handbook - Stream 1: Capital Investment Projects from the CFS Publications database
- download our Expression of Interest form [453 kb Word, 397 kb PDF
- download our Full Project Proposal form [917 kb Word, 613 kb PDF] and financial appendix [47 kb Excel]
The IFIT is accepting Applications for Studies projects on a continuing basis while funding is available.
For more information, watch our video: IFIT Information Webinar for Applicants.
The Investments in Forest Industry Transformation (IFIT) program provides capital funding to support transformative projects by forest sector firms to diversify into new product streams and implement innovative process improvements to ensure industry competitiveness.
Two funding categories:
General Enterprise Capital Investment Projects
- Open to companies of any size, including small enterprises
- Funding up to a maximum of $20 million per project
Small Enterprise Capital Investment Projects
- For small enterprises (50 or fewer employees)
- Funding up to $1 million for a project of $3 million or less
- Small Enterprises can request more than $1 million for a project of any amount through General Enterprise Capital Investment Projects
Who is eligible for funding?
For-profit companies located in Canada, that
- produce forest products in an existing forest product manufacturing facility (for example, pulp, paper or lumber mills) or
- are / will be new entrants in the Canadian forest sector for the purpose of the proposed project
Clusters, joint ventures and consortiums are included if a for-profit company acts as the lead applicant and will be designated as the recipient of IFIT funding.
Diversity and Inclusion
Natural Resources Canada recognizes the contributions of a diverse and inclusive workforce to the resilience and competitiveness of Canada’s forest sector.
As a first step to gaining a better understanding of diversity and inclusivity within the forest industry, the IFIT Program will be introducing a new Diversity and Inclusion Plan requirement. To implement this new measure, the IFIT Program will be using a phased approach.
For proposals submitted prior to March 31, 2021, a Diversity and Inclusion plan is required only if selected for funding. For all proposals submitted on or after April 1, 2021, a Diversity and Inclusion plan will be required as part of the Full Project Proposal. For more information, please refer to Section 6 – Diversity and Inclusion Measures in our Applicant Handbook – Stream 1: Capital Investment Projects.
For reference and your internal use, download:
History of the program
The Investments in Forest Industry Transformation program was launched in 2010, to address a critical need for capital investment in new technologies by providing funding to projects that speed up the adoption of innovative processes and technologies in the Canadian forest sector.
To-date, the program has funded 43 projects involving world-first technologies, producing a range of new bioproducts and generating new revenues for forest sector companies. These projects have secured an estimated +5,000 jobs in the forest sector and led to the creation of 500 new direct innovation-related jobs. Results show that for every dollar invested by the Government of Canada, other sources leveraged almost four dollars.
In 2020, the program was renewed with $82.9 million of funding to be distributed over three years. This continued commitment helps bring the next wave of innovative advancements to Canadian forest facilities, solidifying Canada’s position as a leader in forest sector transformation.
For more information, please email the IFIT team.
- Date modified: