CanmetMATERIALS is the largest research centre in Canada dedicated to fabricating, processing and evaluating metals and materials. Scientific and technical staff in Hamilton and Calgary research and develop materials solutions for Canadian industry in the energy, transportation and metal-manufacturing sectors.
CanmetMATERIALS deploys technologies to improve all aspects of producing and using value-added products that are derived from metals and minerals. Its research focuses on three industrial sectors that are big users of Canada’s natural resources:
- The transportation sector - CanmetMATERIALS works mostly with vehicle, engine and component manufacturers who require new advanced-materials solutions to improve fuel efficiency while maintaining safety and performance.
- The energy sector - CanmetMATERIALS works on components in clean energy production and reliable pipelines to transport gas, oil, biofuels and carbon dioxide.
- The manufacturing sector - CanmetMATERIALS works on components for a variety of other sectors that rely on high-performance materials, such as defence, aerospace, health and construction.
CanmetMATERIALS also studies other aspects of sustainable development, such as how to improve process efficiency and recycle materials, and has expertise and facilities for the pilot-scale production and performance assessment of novel materials. It has unique facilities that can handle hot and molten metal in pilot-scale quantities. Its researchers also characterize the microstructures of innovative materials and assess their mechanical, corrosion, thermal and electrochemical performance.
Partnering with CanmetMATERIALS
Learn how industry, universities and other non-federal entities looking for technology solutions or R&D partnerships can engage CanmetMATERIALS.
Graduate students, visiting researchers, adjunct scientists and co-op students: find out about opportunities to collaborate with CanmetMATERIALS.
Working at CanmetMATERIALS
Find out what types of scientific and technical experts and other professionals get recruited by CanmetMATERIALS.
Visit this page to search for recent scientific publications about mining/materials.
Check out news on CanmetMATERIALS.
Find out how to contact the NRCan National NDT Certification Body, including our opening hours and how to direct your inquiry.
- Learn more about the major facilities CanmetMATERIALS offers to potential partners
- Find out about the four major research areas where CanmetMATERIALS focuses its research efforts
- Obtain further details on CanmetMATERIALS’ full range of technical capabilities
- Find out more about the NRCan Non-Destructive Testing Body and Canadian General Standards Board Certification