Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) coordinates the collection of statistics for off-mine-site and on-mine-site expenditures for the exploration and deposit appraisal phases, as well as the mine complex development phases, of mineral exploration.
NRCan and Statistics Canada cooperate with the provinces and territories to collect, assemble, and publish comprehensive national mineral resource development statistics. These are compiled from the federal-provincial/territorial Survey of Mineral Exploration, Deposit Appraisal and Mine Complex Development Expenditures. To protect respondents' confidential data, only aggregate statistics are released.
The Federal-Provincial/Territorial Committee on Mineral Statistics ensures harmonization of methodology and definitions on a national scale. Complete coverage of project evolution from exploration to mine production allows a better understanding of the components illustrated in the statistical tables.
This page offers links to statistical reports on mineral exploration, the preliminary estimates and spending intentions surveys.
This page offers links to statistical reports on mineral exploration, the annual and revised spending intentions surveys.
This page provides links to the survey methodology, and key definitions related to mineral exploration.
This page provides links to the forms and guides related to the Survey of Mineral Exploration, Deposit Appraisal and Mine Complex Development Expenditures.
- Learn about Canada’s reserves of selected major metals
- Read about Canada’s involvement in global mineral exploration
- Get up to speed on mineral exploration in Canada
- Find links to information, figures, and statistics on mineral exploration, deposit appraisal, and mine complex development activity in Canada (2010 and 2011)
- Read about trends in Canadian mineral exploration
- See a map of the top 100 exploration and deposit appraisal projects of 2016
- Download the Generalized Model of Mineral Resource Development for information about the mineral resource development and mining process model upon which the survey definitions are based.
- Date modified: