X-Ray Fluorescence Analyzer Operator Certification
NRCan NDTCB response to COVID-19 situation
With the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the NRCan NDTCB is working to ensure the health and safety of the public and our team members in accordance with all public safety guidelines. We are closely monitoring the situation and will adjust our business practices and client services rapidly as required. We remain at the ready to assist you as best as we can throughout this situation. We will keep you updated on any developments.
At this time, certification processing and services are likely to be disrupted, delayed, and/or postponed.
Temporary accommodations and extensions relating to initial certifications and renewals/recertifications will be provided for select candidates. Currently, the accommodations are:
- A 12-month extension for NDT renewal and recertification candidates who have certifications that expire from April 15, 2020 to December 15, 2020. This 12-month extension is applied to the current expiry date listed on your certification ID card, and the Directory of Certified Personnel.
- A 12 month extension for NDT initial certification candidates who have examinations in process that expire(d) after March 15, 2020. This 12-month extension is applied to the current expiry date(s) listed on your most recent examination results letter.
- A 12-month extension for NDT certificate holders who are due to complete their annual vision test requirement from March 16, 2020 to December 15, 2020.
- A 12-month extension for XRF renewal and recertification candidates who have certifications that expire from March 16, 2020 to December 15, 2020. This 12-month extension is applied to the current expiry date listed on your certification ID card, and the Directory of Certified Personnel.
- A 12-month extension for EDO photo ID cards that expire from March 16, 2020 to December 15, 2020. This 12-month extension is applied to the current expiry date listed on your EDO ID card.
For full details and supplementary verification of certification status, please download and read the NRCan NDTCB COVID-19 Temporary Extension Policy Notice (PDF, 189 KB). The appropriate extension accommodations will be applied automatically (no need for candidate to submit a request) without re-issuance of the corresponding paperwork or documents. As conditions evolve, we will adjust services accordingly—temporary accommodations and extensions may be amended or applied as required. Please check our website regularly for further updates on this rapidly evolving situation. For more details, please contact our office.
Contacting and communicating with the NDTCB:
At this time, we will be maintaining communication services via email and telephone. We will not be providing in-person client services at our local office at this time. We encourage clients to provide the NRCan NDTCB with your most up-to-date personal email address and telephone number to avoid interruptions in communication.
For all telephone inquiries, please call our main telephone line: 1-866-858-0473
(Note: other NDTCB telephone lines may not be monitored at this time.)
For email inquiries, send your emails to our main inboxes listed below:
NRCan NDTCB main inbox: email@example.com
NRCan renewal and recertification: firstname.lastname@example.org
EDO written examination: email@example.com
(Note: other NDTCB email inboxes may not be monitored at this time.)
The health and safety for the public is a priority for the NDTCB—we appreciate your understanding and support.
The Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) x-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzer operator certification program comprises radiation safety training and examination components that are based on the non-destructive testing method of radiographic testing.
The NRCan National Non-Destructive Certification Body (NDTCB) developed and implemented its XRF certification program in collaboration with Health Canada. Health Canada publishes safety codes that are incorporated into the Canada Labour Code, which applies to federally regulated sectors. An addendum specifically applicable to portable hand-held x-ray tubes based on open-beam XRF devices falls within the scope of Safety Code 32. It requires individuals who use “portable hand-held x-ray tube based open-beam XRF” devices to be certified.
The NRCan (NDTCB) has adopted International Standard ISO 20807:2004 (with modifications) as the basis of its XRF certification. The certification scheme and guidelines in the current XRF Examination Preparation booklet supersede any differing details from the ISO 20807:2004 certification standard.
- Understands the importance of impartiality and takes it seriously
- Has processes to manage potential conflicts of interest and ensure all certification activities are objective
- Is solely responsible for, retains authority for, and does not delegate its decisions relating to certification, including the granting, maintaining, recertification, expansion and reduction of scope, suspension, or withdrawal of certifications
What it means to be XRF certified
Certified XRF analyzer operators must have at least basic knowledge of XRF theory and applications, as well as an understanding of the principles and practices of radiation safety as they relate to portable open-beam XRF analyzers. They must pass examinations, submit application forms with photos and identification, and maintain valid certification.
Learn about XRF certification
Read detailed information about how x-ray fluorescence certification works, including application procedures, training requirements and approved training centres.
Apply for XRF certification
Initiate your XRF certification by registering for a written examination or re-examination and completing other required forms.
Manage your XRF certification
Apply for certification renewal or recertification.
Certified personnel directory
View the list of NDT and XRF personnel that are currently certified, and find out when certifications expire (require renewal) and when certifications are due for recertification.
Contacting the NDT Certification Body
Contact the NRCan National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body.
- Date modified: