Lands Survey System
In the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, whether on private lands or Canada Lands, the survey system used is the Canada Lands Survey System.
The Surveyor General has the legal responsibility, subject to the direction of the Minister of Natural Resources Canada, to manage all surveys on Canada Lands, and to maintain all the original plans, journals, field notes and other papers connected with those surveys. To support this work in the North, the Surveyor General Branch has regional offices in Whitehorse, Yellowknife and Iqaluit.
Property rights associated with the legal surveys fall under the responsibility of different organizations depending on the type of land or interest. The Canada Lands Survey System provides the location and spatial extent of these rights, whether for mining, oil and gas or real property. Private lands in the territories follow the Canada Lands Survey system but original plans and title together are recorded in land title offices.
- Learn more about Lands Survey Systems
- Find survey plans for Canada Lands
- Find survey plans for Canada Lands using Map Browser
- View and search survey plans of Canada Lands in Google Earth
- Download parcel and boundary datasets for Geographical Information Systems
- Find a Surveyor General Branch Regional Office
- Date modified: