Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified dehumidifier uses nearly 30% less energy, on average, than a standard model. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- More efficient refrigeration coils, compressors, and fans than conventional models.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified dehumidifiers (NOTE: you will be redirected to the U.S. ENERGY STAR website.)
- Buy a model with the highest energy factor (EF) for best efficiency. The energy efficiency of dehumidifiers is measured by its energy factor, in litres of water removed per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of energy consumed or L/kWh
- Use the chart below to choose the right model for the space: more space and moisture requires a model with higher capacity.
- Close doors and windows. Outdoor air can reduce your unit's efficiency.
- Clean your unit regularly, especially the filters, to maximize efficiency.
|Area to be dehumidified||How humid is your space?
(moisture accumulation per day)
|46 m² (500 sq. ft.)||6 litres||7 litres||8 litres|
|93 m² (1000 sq. ft.)||8 litres||9 litres||11 litres|
|139 m² (1500 sq. ft.)||10 litres||12 litres||14 litres|
|186 m² (2000 sq. ft.)||12 litres||15 litres||18 litres|
|232 m² (2500 sq. ft.)||15 litres||18 litres||21 litres|
|279 m² (3000 sq. ft.)||18 litres||22 litres||24 litres|
* If dehumidifier capacity is not measured in metric units, remember: two pints equal approximately one litre.
¹ Space feels damp and has a musty odour, especially in humid weather. Damp spots may appear on walls and floor.
² Space feels and smells wet. Walls or floor sweat, or seepage is present.
³ Walls sweat and floor is almost always wet.
What’s in a label?
Dehumidifiers in Canada can have two labels:
- The ENERGY STAR symbol means the model is highly energy efficient.
- The EnerGuide label shows the model’s energy consumption and how it compares to similar models. Learn more about EnerGuide labels for appliances.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Regulations set the energy efficiency minimum
Dehumidifiers are subject to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada and are registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Date Modified: