Sale of Restricted Components

There are now two types of sellers of Restricted Components, component sellers and product sellers. A component seller sells the restricted component. A product seller sells a product made from or containing a restricted component (they do not sell a restricted component directly). All sellers must comply with Part 20 of the Explosives Regulations, 2013.

To comply, component sellers and product sellers must:

  • Enroll with the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD) to be listed as component seller or product seller, and
  • Taking security measures to protect your supply and all related documentation from theft or unauthorized access.

In addition, component sellers must:

  • Request from customers proper identification (e.g. government photo ID) and intent of use.

In addition, component sellers and product sellers of ammonium nitrate must:

  • Provide the ERD Chief of Inspectors with an annual inventory report.

In addition, component sellers of ammonium nitrate must:

  • Inform end users and transporter about how to protect their ammonium nitrate supply.

Additional Information

Additional tips for ammonium nitrate are available in the Ammonium Nitrate Code of Practice from the Fertilizer Safety and Security Council.